Persistent Headache? You Should See An ENT Doctor
A persistent headache is a menace that might cause you great discomfort to the extent that your daily activities might be disrupted. However, when the headache becomes unrelenting, a competent ENT Doctor will assist you in solving the issue adequately.
Relentless headaches always have a major medical background. A professional ENT expert will offer vital treatment that will tackle the main cause of your headache. The specialist is trained to diagnose various parts of your face and he will find eventually unearth the main cause of it.
The following red flags should warrant you to visit an ENT specialist:
Not all kinds of headaches are a sign that you have a serious medical problem. However, when you experience headaches of the following natures then you should ensure that you visit a specialist.
- Fresh headaches: Headaches that you have never experienced particularly if you are 50 years or older.
- Position Headaches: These are headaches that are triggered by a change in your posture. Like when you change your position from sitting to lying.
- Thunderclap headache: A fast advancing migraine that reaches its peak fast.
- Pattern headache: A migraine that increases its regularity or characteristics rapidly.
- Exertion headache: These are headaches that are elicited by fatigue. These strains may include intense sexual activity, coughing, straining, or sneezing.
- Symptomatic headaches: These migraines are accompanied by symptoms such as night sweats, fever, vomiting, nausea, dizziness, weight loss, numbness, vision problems, tingling, and chills.
- Factor headaches: Stress, weather changes, menstruation, alcohol, and the altitude might result in factor migraines.
Other factors that might lead to chronic migraines include blocked nose, dental pain, and sore ears.
Underlying Causes of Persistent Headaches:
ENT Doctors are ear, nose, and throat experts. Relentless migraines are often inter-related with these facial body parts. Some of the underlying causes of persistent headaches that these specialists might uncover include the following:
Sinuses are facial glands that are located on the nose bridge, cheekbones, and forehead. The air-filled glands get inflamed when they swell. This inflammation leads to the production of excess mucus which blocks the sinuses and causes increased pressure in the glands. As a result, a migraine will occur.
Severe ear infections cause relentless migraines. Some of the symptoms that might accompany the infection include stiff necks, fevers, swelling, ear pain, cough, or a runny nose.
Obesity is defined as being overweight and having a Body Mass Index (BMI) of over 30. This condition causes an imbalance of various elements in our bodies. Consequently, this leads to chronic migraines.
Pregnancy and Lactation:
During pregnancy and lactation, a woman’s body experiences numerous changes. Hormonal changes are some of the alterations that occur during this time. These lead to persistent headaches.
Infections like meningitis cause severe headaches. Meningitis is caused by bacteria and viruses in our environment. A competent ENT specialist will diagnose the kind of infection that you have and prescribe suitable medication.
Serious injuries that cause trauma to your brain, spinal cord, or any other body part that is related to your head lead to persistent migraines. Undue pressure on the head which is too low or too high may also lead to these types of headaches.